One of the most inspirational woman that the world has ever seen, Maya Angelou was dubbed a variety of titles ranging from a famous poet, actress, civil rights activist, and author. With the unfortunate truth of Maya passing away recently as of 2014, her words of advice and wisdom are but some of the many memories we still share with one another in celebration of her life.
Known for her autobiography titled “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings”, Angelou was the first African-American woman to have a nonfiction best-seller.
Her brilliance was contagious enough to be awarded the Grammy award for “Best Spoken Word Album” as well as several NAACP awards with the addition of having President Obama bestow upon her the Presidential Medal of Honor.
Angelou was even asked to read one of her amazing poems at the inauguration of President Clinton.
Her voice still echoes throughout the halls of history, sharing her mind with all of those willing to listen. Here are some of her most famous words of wisdom.
1) “It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.”2) “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
3) “If you have only one smile in you give it to the people you love.”
5) “Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.”
6) “Nothing will work unless you do.”
8) “I know for sure that loves saves me and that it is here to save us all.”
9) “The truth is, no one of us can be free until everybody is free.”
11) “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.”
12) “If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.”
14) “Nothing succeeds like success. Get a little success, and then just get a little more.”
15) “The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.”
Source. Spirit Science.